Friday, September 10, 2010

Anthropologie comes to Harvard Square!

My mothership has landed.  And thank goodness it waited to arrive until after I left grad school, or else I would have been even more broke and less productive.

Want a tour?

Flickr

I thought the Mad Hatter's tea party set-up here was so charming.  Love the books and lamps on the ceiling!

Flickr
This little boat installation is an homage to the site, which is not only near the Charles River, but was more importantly once the home of Design Research, a store that brought Scandinavian and modern design to the masses in the 50's.  DR was the first to introduce Marimekko to the States, and you can see little snippets of Marimekko fabrics in the boat's mast.

Boston.com
This is what the Design Research store looked like back in the day.  Gorgeous, right?


I adored this vignette on the upper floor of the five-level store (yes - five levels, like the Philly flagship!).  The vintage Polaroid camera is tres sexy.

Yelp
Unfortunately, my visit coincided with the arrival of the first-years on campus; a bazillion giggly, half-naked 18-year-olds and their parents descended upon the store, and I had no choice but to beat a hasty retreat to the safety of my car.  But I saw enough to convince me that this might be my new favorite Anthro locale, even if going near Harvard makes me break out into hives.

4 comments:

bailie marie September 10, 2010 at 11:54 PM  

I read this whole post with my mouth in the full on awe position. AMAZING!

lavenderpug September 11, 2010 at 7:31 PM  

i am very, very excited for you!

Coasting Anon September 11, 2010 at 9:59 PM  

Does this mean the Ceate and Barrel that was there is no longer?

Mrs. Hot Cocoa September 13, 2010 at 12:32 PM  

@ Coasting Anon: No more C&B. But they started carrying some of the kitchen items at the C&B furniture store just down Mass. Ave., so it's no big loss.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Doubly Happy on Facebook

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP