Friday, March 5, 2010

Recipe Inspirations: Sites to Dream From

In my last post, I listed some of my go-to websites for accessible recipes.  And several of you rewarded me tenfold by introducing me to your e-recipe favorites.

Sometimes, though, it's just as fun, if not more, to browse as to cook.

So where do you go when you want to go window-eating?

"Surely, you don't mean I have to choose just one?"

When I'm just trolling for inspiring, fun, and whimsical things to make (or just dream of making), I visit some of these sites:



  • Aapplemint (Beautiful food photography. Recipes look delicious too, though I haven't made anything from the site yet.)
  • Bakerella*
  • Cakespy*
  • Chez Pim (Listed as one of Anthony Bourdain's favorite blogs.  What's good for Tony is good enough for me.)
  • Chocolate & Zucchini (How could one not be in love with a gorgeous blog written by a Parisian woman named Clotilde?)
  • David Lebovitz (Former pastry chef at Chez Panisse becomes Parisian expat and starts blog.)
  • Food52 (The Bride Concierge, aka Tracy at BusyButtons, introduced me to this brilliant "online community cookbook." Tons of delicious recipes and even more delicious photography.)
  • Avec Eric (Chef Eric Ripert's blog.  It should be super intimidating, but the recipes actually look very accessible.)
  • Joy the Baker*
  • La Tartine Gourmande (Bea's food photography is drool-inducingly stunning.)
  • Momofukufor2 (Lover of all things Momofuku who is blogging her way through the insanely complicated Momofuku cookbook. Very "Julie and Julia."  But if you can get past the comparison, it's such a fun read.)
  • Orangette (Dreamy and ethereal food photography, elegant writing.)
  • Ruhlman.com (Another Bourdain favorite. Beautiful food photography and instruction; this guy literally wrote the book on great food, having co-written the French Laundry Cookbook, among many others. Love his mini-tutorials on fancypants ingredients like vanilla sugar.)
  • Sunday Suppers (Blog for "a class-cooking-dining experience" run out of Brooklyn.  The food photography and styling are spectacular.)
  • Tartelette (If my husband didn't object, I would decorate our kitchen with the photos in Tartelette.  And then I'd eat them.  Even though they'd taste like paper (or bytes), they'd still be tasty.)
* There are a number of baking blogs on this list, ironically because I am not a very good baker: since I'm not talented enough to make any of the goodies in these blogs, all I can do is look.








And then there's Foodgawker -- my current obsession.  And not just because my Compost Cookies post was on the front page a few days ago, stuck between a lovely fruit tart and a green concoction that looks like something only Dr. Seuss could enjoy.

Where do you go when you're in need of culinary inspiration?

1 comments:

The Bride Concierge March 8, 2010 at 1:17 PM  

Thanks again for the tip on 101 Cookbooks. I made her Cottage Cheese Muffins recipe and I'm now hooked. Can't wait to try out her yeasted cornbread. Mmm...

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Doubly Happy on Facebook

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP