Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Shopping Hong Kong: Shanghai Street

While in Hong Kong, we took a visit to Shanghai Street in Kowloon, which is essentially restaurant supply row.  Given my love for all things food-related, of course it was like paradise. 



Every single store down this street sells restaurant supplies.  Some sold large-scale furnishings, such as bakery display cases or fryers.  Others sold surprisingly odd (but still restaurant-related) items, such as the small Buddhist altars that almost every Chinese restaurant has.  (It's important to pray for good business, after all.)


My favorite, however, was a store that seemed like it came straight out of Diagon Alley: it had HUGE cauldrons (well, soup pots) and a vast array of woks of all sizes.  You can't really tell from the photo, but their largest woks were so huge I could have comfortably been pan-fried in them.


And how cool is this wall o' barbecue hooks?  


Since a 5-ft.-diameter wok wasn't going to fit in my suitcase, I ended up just purchasing this sweet little teak dim sum container from a store that carried all types of fancy Chinese and Japanese-style serving containers.  (Ever wanted one of the boats that are ubiquitous in Japanese restaurants? They got those.)

Oh how I love cooking supplies!  What are your favorite things to shop for while on vacation?

3 comments:

AlmostaPhD,  June 30, 2010 at 10:52 PM  

Hi! I am a relatively new reader and I just wanted to say that your blog is adorable and I love your writing. I get super excited when a new post pops up in my reader. I especially loved it when you said the wok was so large you could be pan fried in it. Hehe! Thanks for brightening my day.

Mrs. Hot Cocoa July 1, 2010 at 10:07 AM  

@ AlmostaPhD: Thanks for brightening MY day!! What's your PhD in?

violarulz/ducksandbooks July 13, 2010 at 2:16 AM  

hehe, I do the same thing when I travel! I buy lots of snack foods for friends (and myself and the dude) and some junkfoody staples (I'm sad that we're out of Kaya, let me know if you know anyone in Singapore). my favorite equipment from traveling is a frilly looking baking dish for making flan in, that I got in Uruguay

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Doubly Happy on Facebook

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP