Saturday, January 23, 2010

Macaron Dreams

When my husband was in business school in Philly, there was a French bakery (now closed) that made the most gorgeous, delectable macarons.

Image source: Casa Sugar


Sigh.

Sorry, momentary food-induced reverie.  I'm back.

Sadly, it's hard to satisfy our love for macarons.  It's not that they aren't available in Boston: Fromaggio Kitchen, Whole Foods in Dedham, and Burdick's all make delicious macarons. It's just that freshly baked macarons are usually $1.50 each.  Given how many macarons we're capable of devouring in one sitting, our macaron addiction is not good for our bank account.


That's why I was particularly giddy to discover that Trader Joe's now carries macarons in its frozen food aisle. I know, I know . . . frozen macarons?  I was skeptical too.  But they're actually really yummy: exactly right texture-wise, and rich with the sweetness of chocolate ganache or vanilla bean.  And the price of $4.99 for 6 chocolate and 6 vanilla macarons just can't be beat.

Image source: Laduree

It's not Laduree quality, but at least you won't have to pay for a plane ticket to Paris.  And you can pick up something for tomorrow's dinner at the same time.

1 comments:

sassandpancakes January 23, 2010 at 10:44 PM  

Macarons are so hot right now, and I've never had one. I'm getting myself to my neighborhood TJ's tomorrow!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
There was an error in this gadget

Doubly Happy on Facebook

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP